Personal information we collect
What personal information do we collect from visitors and customers and how do we collect it?
Information you provide to us: When registering for or using Knak Services, you provide us with certain pieces of PII. For example, when a Knak account is created, you provide us with your name, position at your company, company email address, company name and password (hashed, which turns your password into a short string of letters and/or numbers using an encryption algorithm to further protect it). Depending on the purpose for which you are using the Knak Services, you may also be asked to provide your address for billing and shipping purposes and your phone number for delivery of documents. You may also provide information when using our services such as Company and user social media urls, brand colours and fonts, company email templates, including email images and Marketing Automation Platform API credentials (client secrets separately encrypted).
Information we collect automatically: user login history, activities surrounding Knak services use (creating, approving, syncing emails) and any requests to external APIs.
Information that we collect from third parties: We may share and / or collect additional information about you from third parties primarily to assist us in understanding how we can maintain and improve the services we offer to better serve you. For example:
Google's advertising requirements can be summed up by Google's Advertising Principles. They are put in place to provide a positive experience for users.
Google AdSense Advertising on our Website
- Remarketing with Google AdSense
- Google Display Network Impression Reporting
- Demographics and Interests Reporting
We, along with third-party vendors, use first-party cookies (such as the Google Analytics cookies), third-party cookies (such as the DoubleClick cookie), and/or other third-party identifiers to compile data regarding user interactions with ad impressions and other ad service functions as they relate to our site.
Users can set preferences for how Google advertises using the Google Ad Settings page. Alternatively, users can opt out by visiting the Network Advertising initiative opt out page or permanently using the Google Analytics Opt Out Browser add on.
Google Chrome Extension
Our Google Chrome extension collects and stores authentication data provided by users to allow the extension to retrieve information from the application.
- Help remember and process the items in the shopping cart.
- Understand and save user's preferences for future visits; and.
- We may also use trusted third party services that track this information on our behalf.
You can choose to have your device warn you each time a cookie is being sent, or you can choose to turn off all cookies. You do this through your browser settings. Each browser is a little different, so look at your browser's Help menu to learn the correct way to modify your cookies.
If you disable cookies, some features will be disabled. Some of our services and products may not function properly; however, you can still place orders with cookies disabled.
How we use your personal information
We may use the PII we collect in the following ways, to:
- Provide, operate, optimize and maintain our products and services;
- Understand and personalize your experience with the type of content, services and product offerings in which you are most interested;
- Improve our site in order to better serve you;
- Create your account(s);
- Provide you with customer and technical support;
- Administer a contest, promotion, survey, or other similar feature;
- Quickly process your transactions; and
- Send periodic emails regarding your services.
We may also combine the information we collect (or that is otherwise provided to us) through aggregation or other anonymizing means to limit the identification of any particular individual and help with our business goals (such as research and marketing).
Legal Basis for processing your information If you are a user or Customer located in the European Economic Area, our legal basis for collecting and using the personal information described above will depend on the personal information concerned and the specific context in which we collect it. We will normally collect personal information from you only where we have your consent to do so, where we need the personal information to perform a contract with you, or where the processing is in our legitimate business interests. In some cases, we may also have a legal obligation to collect personal information from you. If you have questions about or need further information concerning the legal basis on which we collect and use your personal information, please contact us at email@example.com.
How we share your personal information
We may use your PII in the ways described here:
- Vendors or third party service providers: We may share your information with third parties that we use to provide and support our services. These parties provide services such as data storage, email delivery, billing and collections, and customer support. We enter into legally binding agreements with these third-party service providers that permit the processing of personal information only to deliver the services that we have retained them to provide and prohibit the use of personal data for any other purpose. We keep an up-to-date list of these service providers here: https://knak.com/subprocessors/
- Compliance with the law, safety, security, business transactions: We may also disclose your information to third parties: a) where required by law or regulatory requirement, court order, or other judicial authorization; b) in response to lawful requests by public authorities, including for the purposes of meeting national security and law enforcement requirements; c) in connection with the sale, transfer, merger, bankruptcy, restructuring, or other reorganization of our business; d) to protect or defend our rights, interests, or property, or that of third parties; e) to investigate any wrongdoing in connection with our products and services; and f) to protect the vital interests of an individual
- If you choose to opt-in to Knak updates, we will email you technical updates or inform you about other services and features
How we protect your personal information
Our products and services are scanned on an ongoing basis for known vulnerabilities in order to make your experience with them as safe as possible.
PII is contained behind secured networks and is only accessible by a limited number of persons who have special access rights to such systems, and are required to keep the information confidential. In addition, data is encrypted in transit via SSL/TLS. At Rest, Our database service uses the AES-256 encryption algorithm.
See our security page for more information on how we protect your information.
You may also contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org to request a copy of our Data Processing Agreement (DPA) or with any questions you may have.
Your choices about your information
General: Upon written request (email), Knak Inc will pride you with information about whether or not we hold any of your personal information. You may access, correct or request deletion of your personal information by logging into your account, or by contacting us using the information made available in this policy. We will respond to your request within a reasonable timeframe.
European Economic Area: If you are based in Europe you have additional rights as outlined below:
- Access: If you wish to access your personal information that Knak Inc. collects, you can do so at any time through the service or by contacting us.
- Correction, update or deletion: You can correct, update or request deletion of your personal information by contacting us.
- Object to processing: When we reply on your consent to process your personal information, you may withdraw consent at any time by contacting us. This will not affect the lawfulness of processing prior to the withdrawal of your consent.
- Data Protection Authority: You have a right to raise questions or complaints with your local data protection authority at any time.
- Marketing: You have the right to opt-out of marketing communications we send you at any time. You can do this by clicking the “unsubscribe” link in the marketing emails we sent you or by contacting us. If contacting us, please provide your complete name, email address and any other relevant information that may be required to address your request). Please note that such marketing opt-out does not impact any transaction or operation notices that we may need to send you.
Retention of Information
We retain customer information for 90 days post termination of service, unless a longer retention period is required or permitted by law, for legal, tax ,or regulatory reasons, or other lawful purposes.
COPPA (Children Online Privacy Protection Act)
Knak's services and website are not intended or directed to persons under the age of 18. We do not knowingly collect or ask for information from minors. We do not knowingly allow minors to use our services. We will delete any information we discover is collected from a minor. Please contact us if you believe we might have information about a minor.
When it comes to the collection of PII from children under 13, the United States' Children's Online Privacy Protection Act (COPPA) puts parents in control. The Federal Trade Commission, the nation's consumer protection agency, enforces the COPPA Rule, which spells out what operators of websites and online services must do to protect children's privacy and safety online.
The CAN-SPAM Act is a law that sets the rules for commercial email, establishes requirements for commercial messages, gives recipients the right to have emails stopped from being sent to them, and spells out tough penalties for violations. We collect your email address in order to:
- Send information, respond to inquiries, and/or other requests or questions.
- Process orders and to send information and updates pertaining to orders.
- We may also send you additional information related to your product and/or service.
- Market to our mailing list or continue to send emails to our clients after the original transaction has occurred.
To be in accordance with CAN-SPAM we agree to the following:
- NOT use false, or misleading subjects or email addresses.
- Identify the message as an advertisement in some reasonable way.
- Include the physical address of our business or site headquarters.
- Monitor third party email marketing services for compliance, if one is used.
- Honor opt-out/unsubscribe requests quickly.
- Allow users to unsubscribe by using the link at the bottom of each email.
If at any time you would like to unsubscribe from receiving future emails, you can email us at email@example.com and we will promptly remove you from all correspondence.
Users from Outside of the United States
Changes to this Policy
2 Gurdwara Rd
Ottawa ON K2E 1A2
Effective, March 17th, 2022